To make Dosa batter
- Urad dal – ¾ cup
- White rice – 3 cups
- Fenugreek seeds – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
instructions to make batter
- Water Soak rice in water, soak urad dal with fenugreek seeds also separately for 5-6 hours. Grind to a fine paste by adding enough water, add salt. Keep over night to ferment. Next day morning adjust the amount of water, so that we can spread it easily on a dosa tava.
Ingredients to make masala
- Potato cubes – 3 nos
- Carrot cubes – 2 nos ( you may add beans , green peas also, as you prefer)
- Onion thin slices – 2 large
- Ginger chopped – 2 tsp
- Garlic chopped – 1tsp
- Turmeric – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Mustard – ¼ to ½ tsp.
- Urad dal – ½ tsp
- Green chili chopped – 4
- Dry red chili broken into pieces– 2
- Few coriander leaves ( optional )
- Salt as needed
Instructions to make masala
- Heat oil in a nonstick cooker ( or in a pan ) splutter mustard. Add urad dal, red chili, fry until golden.
- Add onion slices fry for a few minutes. Add ginger garlic, green chili, curry leaves, and again fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add all the vegetables, turmeric and salt. Add 2-3 tbspoons of water. Cook for a whistle. Off the fire. ( if you are using a pan, add enough water to cook the vegetables – until just cooked not mushy)
- Open the cooker once cold, keep on the fire, let it become dry, add chopped coriander leaves. Stir. Keep aside.
Instructions to make masala dosa.
- spread dosa batter evenly in a dosa tava ( tava should be hot, but not too hot, then batter will stick to the tava, becomes difficult to spread )
- add ghee to the dosa, let the dosa becomes crispy.
- add 2 tbspoons of masala at one side of the dosa and fold the dosa.
- ready to serve with Sambar, or with chutney.
Chutney / Sambar – recipes given in my site.