bitter gourd ( karela / kayppakka Thoran) sabji
- Bitter gourd finely chopped – 250 gms
- Oil- 1 tablespoon oil
- Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Cumin ( Jeera) – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Onion chopped – 1 medium
- Jaggery – 1’ piece , or crushed into powder ( you may add more if you like )
- Chili powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- salt to taste
- Grated coconut / desiccated coconut – 2 tb spoons.
- Heat the oil in a medium pan on medium heat and add mustard seeds to it. When they start spluttering add cumin ( jeera).
- Add chopped onion and curry leaves, when it turns brown add chopped bitter gourd with 7,8,9,10, 11 fry for a few minutes add 4-5 tb spoons of water cover and cook.
- When bitter gourd cooked well add grated coconut, Simmer it for 10-15 minutes and fry gently, keep stirring occasionally until it becomes completely dry.
- Serve with chapathi/ rice.