- Chicken medium pieces – 300 gms
- onion chopped – 1 medium
- ginger paste – 1 tsp
- garlic paste -1 tsp
- bay leaf – 1 -2
- lemon – ½
- Onions sliced – 2 medium
- cloves – 3,4
- cardamom – 3,4
- black pepper – 5-6
- Cashew nuts – 10
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup
- Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- To prepare the marinate : Heat oil in a pan, fry sliced onions till they turn translucent. Add cloves, cardamom and black pepper fry again till onions become brown.
- Grind the fried onion mix with the rest of the ingredients (5-8 ) into a fine paste.
- Marinate the chicken pieces in this fine marinade and keep aside for a few minutes to half an hour.
To prepare the dish
- Heat oil in the same pan, fry chopped onion until brown, add ginger garlic paste and bay leaves, fry for a few minutes, until the raw taste leaves the masala.
- Add marinated chicken into this, fry for a few minutes. Add enough water and salt. Cook under medium flame for the first 10- 15 minutes and then under low flame until the gravy thickens and chicken gets tender. Off the fire, add lemon juice and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, serve with chapathi/ roti/ rice.