- Fish ( mackerel, king fish, barracuda ( thirutha) pomfret) – 500gms – cut into pieces
- Red chili powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Pepper powder – ½ tsp
- Meat masala powder- 1 tsp
- Vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Onion chopped – 3 nos
- Garlic crushed – 1 tsp ( 4 nos )
- Ginger crushed – 1 ½ tsp (2″ piece)
- Green chilies – 2-3 nos split
- Tomato chopped – 2 big
- Curry leaves – a few
- Coriander leaves chopped – 1tsp
- Salt – as reqd
- Oil – as required
- Marinate the fish pieces with 1 tsp red chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp pepper powder, salt & 1 tb sp vinegar. Keep for an hour ( or can keep this ready in the freezer I day before.)
- Heat 2 tb sp oil in a pan or a kadai. Shallow fry the fish pieces.
- In a bowl add the remaining red chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, meat masala powder, add some water and make it in to a paste.
- In the same kadai, in the same left over oil ( or if you need, can add 1 tbsp oil also ) add chopped onions, fry till golden brown, add ginger garlic paste and some curry leaves, fry for 1 more minute, add tomato fry till tomatoes become soft.
- Add the masala paste ( step 3 ) into the pan ( step 4 ) and fry, till the raw smell leaves. Add required amount of salt to the masala according to your taste.
- Spread the masala, add fish on the masala, cover the fish also with masala from the side, sprinkle some water, Cover the pan and let it simmer, till the oil comes out from the side. It takes about 10 – 15 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, decorate with chopped coriander leaves.