- Pomfret / king fish – ½ kg ( I used pomfret )
- Onion chopped – 2 medium
- Ginger finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Garlic finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Green chili – 3 – 4
- Black pepper – 5-6
- Cardamom – 4
- Cloves – 4
- Cinnamon – 1 medium stick
- Bay leaf – 1-2
- Tomato chopped – 2
- Lemon – ½ lemon
- Thin Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Thick Coconut milk – 1 cup
- Curry leaves
- Pepper powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Lemon juice – ½ lemon
- Marinate the fish pieces with pepper powder, turmeric powder, salt & lemon juice. Keep it for half an hour. Shallow fry the marinated fish for just 2-3 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add bay leaf and crushed cardamom, cinnamon, pepper & cloves. Add crushed ginger garlic & green chilies. Add chopped onions.
- Once the onion becomes soft, add chopped tomatoes and thin coconut milk. Let it boil.
- Add the fried fish pieces & add salt.
- When the gravy becomes thick, add curry leaves. Once the fish is cooked and gravy thickens add thick coconut milk. Off the fire immediately afterone boil.
- Squeeze ½ lemon into the curry ( if you do not want the sour taste can avoid this ) twist the pan to mix.
Serve hot with appam or bread.