- Sardine – 10 ( cut, cleaned and slit )
- Fresh coconut – 3 tbspoon
- Shallots chopped – 2 tb spoon
- Chili powder – 1 tsp ( may add more or less depends on taste )
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Green mango cut into pieces – 1 ( depends on the sour taste of mango )
- Curry leaves – a few
- Coconut oil
- Grind coconut, red chili powder and salt nicely into a creamy paste. Keep aside.
- Add fish into a pan with some curry leaves and turmeric powder, then add the coconut paste, add enough water (Fish should immerse in the gravy). Twist the pan to mix the ingredients. Cover and cook under medium flame, till the fish is cooked and the gravy thickens into desired consistency (may take 15- 20 minutes). Adjust the taste of salt, give the pan a stir by holding both the sides to distribute salt evenly, with few more boil, off the fire.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan, add chopped shallots and curry leaves- fry till onion turns golden brown.
- Add to the fish curry, give the pan a stir by holding both the sides of the pan with your hand. Cover to lock the aroma.
- Serve hot with rice or after a few hours is also fine.
For fish like Sole Fish ( manthal) , Netholi ( Anchovy), I used to prepare in the same way.