- Black chickpeas / channa/ Kadle – 1 cup [ either sprouted or Soak it overnight ]
- Yam ( suran) cubed – 1 cup
- Oil- 1 tablespoon oil
- Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Cumin (Jeera) – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Onion chopped – 1 tbsp
- Jaggery – 1’ piece , or crushed into powder
- Chili powder – ¾ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- salt to taste
- Grated coconut / desiccated coconut – 2 tb spoons.
- Pressure cook chickpeas till done. [ if it is sprouted 1 whistle is enough – black chickpeas needs more cooking time than the white one.)
- Wait till the cooker cools down to open the lid. Add the cut yam, turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, jaggery and salt, cover & cook. Let all the water evaporate. ( yam cooks very fast- don’t let it be mushy)
- Heat the oil in a big pan on medium heat and add mustard seeds to it. When they start spluttering add cumin.
- Add chopped onion and curry leaves to the fry, when it turns brown add coconut fry again till coconut turns golden brown.
- Add the boiled chickpeas and suran mixture to the pan and mix well (Make sure to do it gently without squishing the suran), adjust the salt taste.
- Simmer it for 5 minutes and turn off the heat. Serve hot with rice/ Roti.