- Onion finely chopped – 3 large
- Gram flour ( Besan ) – ¾ cup
- Rice flour – ¼ cup
- Maida – ¼ cup
- Mashed potato / potato powder – ¼ cup ( optional)
- Chili powder – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida powder ( Hing ) – ¼ tsp
- Baking powder – ¼ tsp
- Green chili – 3-4
- Garlic paste – 3
- Ginger – a small piece
- Curry leaves – a few
- Oil for deep frying
- Crush green chili, ginger and garlic, curry leaves in a mixer,
- Take chopped onion in a large bowl. Add crushed ingredients, all the powder ingredients (2-8 ingredients ) and salt. Mix well
- Add water little by little (approx. 1/4 cup) and mix all the ingredients such that sliced onion is coated well with flour batter. Do not add more water unless required – if batter becomes too watery or thin then pakodas will not turn crispy.
- Heat oil in a deep pan over medium flame. Check whether oil is sufficiently hot or not by dropping a pinch of mixture in hot oil – if it comes upward immediately, then oil is sufficiently hot for deep frying.
- Take small portion of mixture in the hand and gently drop 3-4 small fritters into the oil and deep-fry until they turn golden brown in color – keep stirring occasionally in between so that they cook evenly and keep heat/flame to medium.
- Take them out using slotted spoon and drain excess oil. Place them on paper towel in a plate to absorb excess oil. Repeat the process for remaining batter and deep-fry in batches.
Serve hot with tomato sauce or with any chutney.