- Poha ( flattened rice) – 1.5 cups
- Potato boiled and cubed – 2 medium
- Green peas fresh – ½ cup
- Onion chopped – 1 medium
- Green chili finely chopped – 1 large
- Curry leaves – a few
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin (jeera) – ¼ tsp
- turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- Coriander leaves chopped – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Lemon squeezed – ½ lemon
- Rinse the poha in clean running water once, use a strainer to rinse the poha. Make sure that you do not rinse it too much or else it breaks and gets mushy. While rinsing, the poha absorbs enough water and it becomes soft. but it must remain intact, whole and separate. Sprinkle ½ tsp salt and 2 tsp sugar in the poha, gently mix with your hands. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, splutter mustard and cumin.
- Add chopped onion and curry leaves and fry for a few minutes.
- Add green peas and cook for 10 minutes, by stirring in between.
- Add boiled potato pieces, turmeric powder and enough salt and fry for a few minutes.
- Add the soft poha to the pan, mix well, cover the pan tightly with a lid and steam poha for a minute or two on a low flame. This method softens the poha further. switch off the flame and keep the lid covered on the pan for a further 4 to 5 minutes.
- Turn off the fire. Add lemon juice, mix well, garnish with coriander leaves. Ready to serve with coconut chutney.