Puttu is a breakfast dish highly popular in Kerala as well as in parts of Sri Lanka. It is a steamed dish, made of steamed cylinders of ground rice layered with coconut.
- Puttu flour ( slightly roasted rice flour) – 2 cups
- Grated coconut- 1/2 coconut /as needed
- Salt – to taste
- Water – appoximately 1 cup
You need a mould called Puttu maker ( puttu kutty + pot ) to make Puttu.
- Take 2 cups of puttu flour ( rice flour) in a bowl, add a little salt, mix well.
- Add water little at the time and mix well with your fingertips. There should be no lumps. (How to know the right consistency – When you take a handful of flour and press it between your fist, it should hold its shape, crumble that and mix with the flour).
- Fill half of the puttu pot with water. ( now puttu mold is available that can fit on the gas outlet of a pressure cooker – if you are using that boil water in the pressure cooker with its lid on )
How to fill the puttu kutty/puttu maker
- Puttu kutty has a perforated steel plate inside, at its base, to let the steam in. Layer the puttu kutty first with a little grated coconut on the steel plate at the base, then add 2 fistful of puttu flour. Then again add grated coconut followed by puttu flour. Repeat the same process until the mould/puttu kutty is full ending it with grated coconut. Keep the perforated lid to cover the puttu kutty.
- Once the water start boiling in the pot, keep your puttu kutty filled with flour on the top of the pot. After a few minutes you will see steam escaping from the holes on the lid of the puttu kutty , reduce the flame and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- When you get a nice flavor of steamed puttu, switch off, remove the puttu kutty from the pot, open it and gently push the puttu using a wooden ladle.
- Serve hot with mutton curry/ kadala curry / peas curry or with small banana or with pappadam and sugar.
If you do not have a puttu maker, you may make puttu in this way too. Pictures are given below .
Make the rice mixture ready according to the 2nd step, then mix the grated coconut also with the mixture, take this mixture in a thin wet cloth and keep it in a steamer. Once steam came out well with a good smell of puttu ( 10-15 minutes) take the cloth bundle out of the steamer, sprinkle enough cold water on the cloth, so that puttu will not stick to the cloth while emptying.