Aloo paratha is a Whole wheat bread stuffed with spicy potato mixture. It is a regular breakfast in north India. We can make different varieties of paratha like gobi (cauliflower)paratha, Spinach paratha, paneer paratha Kheema paratha etc.
For aloo (potato) stuffing
- Potato – ½ kg
- Green chilies – 3- 4
- Garlic – 5-6
- Cumin ( jeera) – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida ( hing) – ¼ tsp
- Garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Chopped coriander leaves – 3tbsp
- Salt – to taste
For making dough for poratha
- Whole wheat flour – 2 cups
- Water – ¾ cup ( for making the chapatti like dough)
- Salt – ¼ tsp
12. Ghee/ vegetable oil – 4 tbsp
13. Maida – for spreading paratha
- Cook whole potatoes in a pressure cooker for 2 -3 whistle, add enough water in the cooker,so that the potatoes are submerged in water. Let them cool down completely, peel the skin, and mash the potatoes completely.
- Crush green chilies, garlic and cumin well, add to mashed potato, now add asafoetida , garam masala powder, chopped coriander leaves and salt. Mix the mixture well, divide it into 12- 15 portions. Keep aside.
- Take wheat flour and salt in a bowl, add water little at a time and knead the flour into a soft and smooth dough. Cover it and let it rest for half an hour.
- After half an hour knead the dough again and divide into 12- 15 portions. Make a smooth ball and flatten out into a disc, put the potato stuffing inside, sprinkle some maida, gather the sides of the dough to cover the potato stuffing completely from all the sides. Make into smooth ball and flatten the ball using hand.
- Spread it into paratha by using rolling pin, use some dry flour to make rolling easy.
- Heat the tawa and fry the paratha, apply some ghee on both the sides of the paratha and fry till it makes golden spots.
- Serve hot with Yoghurt and pickle.