Dates pickle, my mother used to make this very often, this was the only pickle I like when I was small, known as Eenthappazham Achar in Kerala. This pickle has a sweet & spicy taste. It goes well with rice, roti and even with biriyani.
- Dates ( deseeded, each cut long into 4-6 pieces) -1/2 Kg
- Red chili powder- 3 tsp
- Asafoetida powder ( hing)- 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek powder-1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp (optional)
- Vinegar- 5-6 tbsp
- Vegetable oil – 5 tbsp
- Salt- as required
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan in low flame and add chili powder, asafoetida, fenugreek powder, turmeric powder and salt. Saute for few seconds
- Now, add the chopped date’s pieces and mix well for 2-3 minutes.
- Add vinegar, mix well, adjust the taste of salt ( it should be slightly high), switch off the gas and remove from flame.
- When cooled well, transfer the pickle to air tight glass container and can be stored for 6-7 months.