- Toor dal ( lentil) : 1 Cup
- Chili powder – ½ tsp
- Green chili – 2
- Garlic – 3 ( optional)
- Ginger : 1 inch piece
- Shallot : 12 Nos ( you may use one big onion)
- Curry leaves : 1 Sprig
- Salt : As needed
- Cooking oil : 1 cup for deep frying
- Wash the dal thoroughly and soak it for 2-3 hours.
- Drain the water completely from the dal
- Grind these together to make a thick paste (not a fine paste). Do not add water while grinding.
- Chop and crush the Ginger, garlic, shallots, green chili and Curry leaves finely and add it to the mix.
- Add salt and chili powder to this mixture and mix well.
- Roll out small portions of the mixture into lime sized ball and flatten it between the palms to give it shape. ( you may apply some oil on your fingers to make this easy)
- In a deep bottom frying pan pour the oil and heat it on medium flame. When the oil becomes hot, add the vadas to the oil. Deep fry the parippu vadas until they become crispy and golden brown.
- serve hot
- You may use 1/2 cup Toor dal and 1/2 cup Chana dal also for making these vadas.
- If the vadas break while adding to the oil or if it has more moisture, you may add 1 tbspoon of maida to the mixture to bind the dal together.