Adai is a dosa like dish prepared from a combination of lentils and rice. It is much healthier than dosa as it contains more protein. It goes well with coconut chutney or onion chutney.
- Raw rice – 1/2 cup
- Par Boiled rice – 1/2 cup
- Tur dal – 1/2 cup
- Channa dal – 1/4 cup
- Urad dal – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek – 1 tsp
- Green chili – 2-3
- Red chili flakes – 2tsp / you may use red chili – 2nos
- Ginger – a small piece
- Garlic – 4-5
- Asafetida ( Hing ) – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – as required
- Ghee / oil for making adai ( sesame oil preferred)
- Onion chopped – I big
- Cumin / jeera – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves chopped – few ( optional )
- Soak rice, dal and fenugreek (ingredients 1- 6 ) for 2 hours hours.
- Grind it coarsely along with green chili, ginger and garlic, hing and salt. Add curry leaves. and red chili flakes, grind quickly for few more seconds. The batter should not be thick nor watery.
- Mix finely chopped onions, jeera and coriander leaves to the adai batter.
- Heat a nonstick tawa and pour a ladle of batter and spread it in circular motion. Drizzle a tsp of oil around the adai and on the top. Let it gets cooked.
- Flip it over to the other side and drizzle another tsp of oil around the adai. After both sides are cooked well, remove from tawa and serve it hot with chutney.