It is sweet and sour, a special traditional Kerala pickle prepared during sadyas.
- Fresh ginger chopped finely – 100 gms
- Tamarind pulp – 100gms
- Green chilly chopped – 3 nos
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Red chili powder – ½ tsp
- Jiggery – 100 gms
- Salt – as required
- Cumin – a pinch
- Mustard – ¼ tsp
- Red chilly (dry) – 1 ( cut into 3-4 pieces)
- Curry leaves – a few
- Oil -1 tsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Wash, peel the skin of ginger and chop it finely (I used a grater).
- Soak tamarind in 2 cups of warm water and extract thick juice. Discard the pulp
- Heat oil add mustard seeds when it splutter add red chilly pieces, cumin, curry leaves, chopped ginger and green chilly fry them till it becomes crispy ( slight brown) and aroma comes.
- Add turmeric powder, chili powder, tamarind extract, salt and jaggery. After it starts boiling, simmer until the gravy becomes thick and oil separates.
- After it cools, store it in a dry bottle. You may use this without refrigeration for a week.
It goes well with rice, dosa